Tuesday 6 October 2009

Homemade Fish and Chips

Last week one of my readers asked how the homemade fish and chips went so I thought for a change I would put a recipe up.

A little while ago my husband was up in Rarotonga with work and bought us home some fish. For some reason I could not cook it up that night and reduced the fish to being frozen. Now I am not a fish connoisseur by any means but what I do know is that fish is best eaten fresh. By the time the fish got back to New Zealand it was not more than 5 hours out of the water. Lucky us.

Finally after a number of weeks I get round to looking into what to now do to the fish especially since it has been in the freezer and came a cross a nice simple kiddy friendly recipe that not only would they eat but could make with a little help from adults.

So here is the recipe.

Fish Fingers

4 fillets fleshy white fish
1/2 cup flour
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1 egg
1 Tbl low fat milk
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
4 lemon wedges to serve

Serves 4

1. cut your fish fillets into finger length strips.

2. Spread the flour and breadcrumbs out on two separate plates, and season the flour with salt and pepper.

3. Beak the egg into a bowl, add the milk and mix together using a fork or whisk.

4. Coat the fish fingers with flour, then dip them into the egg mixture. Then coat them well on both sides with the breadcrumbs.

5. Heat the oil ina fry pan over a medium heat and add the fish firngers. Fry for 3-4 munutes on each side un til browned on the outside but cooked in the middle. The fish fingers are cooked when the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and the flesh has turned white.


As for the chips.

You will need

two large potatoes
spray oil
flavour of your choice.

Cut the potatoes into even bite sized pieces. Lay them flat on a baking tray that is lined with baking paper. Spray lightly with oil and sprinkle with your flavour.

Bake in an 200 degree C oven for 20 minutes.

My children just loved the result and can't wait for Dad to go to Rarotonga again. If I says so myself the fish was just perfectly light and flaky.

No comments: